[Users] funtoo openvz images fails to work with "vzctl enter"

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Jun 26 15:22:59 EDT 2012

On 06/18/2012 05:49 PM, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just filed this bug at Funtoo about their openvz images:
>
> http://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-33
>

> http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/funtoo/funtoo-stable/openvz/x86-64bit/funtoo-stable-generic_64-2012-01-22.tar.xz
> http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/funtoo/funtoo-current/openvz/x86-64bit/funtoo-current-generic_64-2012-05-22.tar.xz
>
> Those images suffer from the fact that I cannot do "vzctl enter 100".
>
> Can anyone try to reproduce that?

Well,

(1) Despite the comments in the above bug report, networking scripts
have nothing to do with vzctl enter
(2) vzctl enter uses either /dev/ptmx and mounted /dev/pts, or older
/dev/ttyp* + /dev/ptyp*. Check those devices exist in CT, check that
/dev/pts is mounted.
(3) You can easily fix both from the host system.

For new devices:
# cp -a /dev/ptmx /vz/root/123/dev/
# vzctl exec 123 grep pts /proc/mounts # Check if the mount is there
# vzctl exec 123 mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts # Mount if necessary

For old devices:
# cp -a /dev/ttyp* /dev/ptyp* /vz/root/123/dev/

(4) There's an extensive wiki page devoted to the issue:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Container_enter_failed

Hope that helps