[Users] a newbie question

LightDot lightdot at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 09:03:58 EDT 2012

Hello Martin and Peter,

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Martin Dobrev <martin at dobrev.eu> wrote:

> Martin Dobrev
>
> Sent from iPhone 4
>
> On 17.06.2012, at 13:25, cheetah <xuwh06 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>

> Hi Peter,
>
>> I am a newbie to openvz and preparing to deploy it in my production environment to give each user a container. I have the following concerns now.
>>
>> 1. Can user load kernel modules in the guest container without influencing the host kernel or other container's kernel? As far as I understand, all the containers share the same kernel of the host. So I am wondering if this is possible?
>>

> Some modules can be shared from the host sytem to the containers. More info in the vzctl man page.

Users can't load modules from within the guest containers. Modules can
be loaded on the hardware node and they will be available to all
containers. Usability depends on the specific module, guest containers
might not be able to use some of them.

>> 2. Or how is the container's security isolation? Can I give user root access in the container? Is there any hack that he/she can use root in the container to attack the host or other containers?
>>
> It's impossible to gain host system access using a kernel bug as far as I know. Some kernel exploits are still able to crash the hole system. Giving root in the container will be considered as secure as giving root on physical server.

I would say giving your customers root access to a container is pretty
safe. In case of kernel exploits or bugs, there might be a certain
risk. For example, recent watchdog kernel bug enabled container users
to reboot the node. In my experience, such bugs are quickly dealt with
and few and far between. I haven't been bitten by any yet.

>> 3. Does openvz kernel support kvm?
>>
> It's possible to have Xen and KVM compiled in the OVZ kernel but you'll need to compile it yourself.

I don't think this is true, perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're
saying. KVM is a part of the mainline kernel and a part of Red Hat
kernels, I don't think openvz is in any way stripping it out. KVM
should work sam as it works on a regular Red hat kernel, shouldn't it?

>> 4. What is recommended distro of Linux to install openvz? I am now using CentOS 6.2. How about Debian?
>>
> Mainstream kernel development follows the RHEL kernel branches, so best for you will be CentOS. I have some production systems on it too.

I'd recommend CentOS or Scientific Linux 6.x. If you'd like to use
Debian, I'd recommend using Red Hat version of openvz kernel with it
too.