[Users] routing from external through HN to loopback on CT [solved]

Christopher McCrory chrismcc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:57:10 EDT 2012

Hello...

I got this working now.  Thanks for all the responses.

This was the platform and problem(s):

I was using two different platforms, one is a proxmox/ubuntu setup and a
older pure openvz setup from several months ago on CentOS 5.x.  In both
cases I was using containers that were already running and I was adding
loopback interfaces.

In the docs on the openvz site about using veth instead of venet there
are a couple places that (for me at least) have ambiguous terms.  CT,
CT0 (hardware node) vs CTxx (virtual container) and what/where eth0
means.

So what I ended up with was correctly seeing the vethxx.y device on the
hardware node, but seeing venet on the virtual containers with the ip
addresses originally setup.  What is not stated in the veth docs is that
you must remove any existing ip addresses from the vz${CTID}.conf file.
So I had a hybrid veth/venet setup.

suggestions:

from http://wiki.openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device
ifname is the Ethernet device name in the CT
mac is its MAC address in the CT
host_ifname is the Ethernet device name on the host (CT0)
host_mac is its MAC address on the host (CT0), if

maybe the above should be:

ifname is the Ethernet device name in the CT
mac is its MAC address in the CT
host_ifname is the Ethernet device name on the host (HN)
host_mac is its MAC address on the host (HN), if

And maybe a line or two about removing any ip addresses if the CT used
venet previously.

or maybe 'vzctl start ${CTID}' could output a warning if vz${CTID}.conf
contains both venet (IP_ADDRESS=...) and veth (NETIF=...) stanzas.  Or
even better setup the IP bits in the
correct /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (for
rhel/fedora/centos) instead
of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0

thanks again for the help.