[Users] A question about Node RAM

Ilya A. Otyutskiy sharp at thesharp.ru
Fri Jan 6 15:54:17 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:34:35PM +0000, Tim Small wrote:
> I'm not sure where EPEL is these days, but we run the following packages
> on our hardware nodes, which aren't packaged with EL5 (not so sure about
> RHEL6 - maybe a couple of those are in there now):

Just looking at el6.

> smartd
smartmontools is in the RHEL itself.

> logcheck
> munin
EPEL has those.

> ipmitool
RHEL has that.

> pacemaker+heartbeat
pacemaker is in RHEL and hearbeat is in EPEL.

> drbd
Can find only this:
drbdlinks.noarch : A program for managing links into a DRBD shared
partition

> puppet
EPEL surely has it.

> arno-iptables-firewall
It's absent. But I did a google search about that and I can understand
why there isn't a package such as that.

> ... and probably a few others which I've forgotten about.  I know that
> several of those are 3rd-party packaged for RHEL5/6, but then you're
> losing a lot of the "it's-guaranteed-supported-for-ages" benefit anyway,
> and you've got to fart about researching and tracking down software, and
> you're arguably worsening your security as a result too?  No?
Usually you have all you need inside stock RHEL or with the addition of
EPEL. If there is something you need and it is absent from EPEL -- you
can always became a package maintainer for it. Fedora community is a
great gang and they will always help you.

--
SY, Ilya A. Otyutskiy aka Sharp