[Users] CT console feature

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 11:18:40 EST 2012

On 23/02/12 14:39, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> I am glad to announce CT console feature.

Very cool - been on my wish list for a while!

> Available in RHEL6-based kernel since 042stab048.1, this feature is
> pretty simple to use. Use vzctl attach CTID to attach to this
> container's console, and you will be able to see all the messages CT
> init is writing to console, or run getty on it, or anything else.
>
> Please note that the console is persistent, i.e. it is available even
> if a container is not running. That way, you can run vzctl attach and
> then (in another terminal) vzctl start. That also means that if a
> container is stopped, vzctl attach is still there.
>
> Press Esc . to detach from the console.

Cool.  Just a thought on this escape sequence...  ipmitool and ssh
(amongst others) use ~ after a carriage return as the command sequence,
and this is sort-of a defacto standard...

OpenSSH..

tim at ermintrude:~$ ~?
Supported escape sequences:
  ~.  - terminate connection (and any multiplexed sessions)
  [....]
  ~?  - this message
  ~~  - send the escape character by typing it twice
(Note that escapes are only recognized immediately after newline.)

ipmitool

Special escape sequences are provided to control the  SOL session:
                            ~.        Terminate connection
                            ~^Z       Suspend ipmitool
                            ~^X        Suspend ipmitool, but don't
restore tty on restart
                            ~B        Send break
                            ~~        Send the escape character by
typing  it twice
                            ~?        Print the supported escape sequences
                     Note  that  escapes are only recognized immediately
after newline.

Both allow you do change the escape character with a command line switch.

Any chance of adopting this "standard" instead of something else?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.