[Users] How to assign a public IP to a VE ?

U.Mutlu for-gmane at mutluit.com
Fri Oct 28 20:39:50 EDT 2011

Hi,
how can I assign a public IP to an openVZ VE?
What tasks do I need to do on the HN and on the VE?

The HN already has a public IP and it's working ok.
Now I got a 2nd public IP and need to use it for the VE
(unfortunately that 2nd IP is from a different net than the first IP, if that matters).

When I assign the 2nd IP to eth0 or to venet0 on the HN then
it works fine on the HN, but I need to assign it to the VE,
and here I don't know how to do the assignment and the routing.

If someone has a similar setup (HN and VE: Debian 5 or 6, and using venet)
please let me know your solution, thx.