[Users] Re: several nics on the hn

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Oct 7 06:00:45 EDT 2011

"Daniel Bauer" <mlist at dsb-gmbh.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've several nics on the hostnode. Only the internal service nic have an
> internal IP. The other nics are without IPs and connected to different
> internal subnets and public www.
>
> I've read the differences between venet and veth
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth
> and want to use venet, but only venet0 is active in the hn, I think this
> is connected to eth0, but how to access the other nics?

What we do is a bit simpler: Just add the appropriate NIC into the
guest. This way the host loses access to the NIC and the guest can be
configured in exactly the same way a non-virtualized server would be
configured. Routing and firewalling is then done by our usual routers
and firewalls, again exactly like it works for non-virtualized servers.

To avoid having to put 50 NIC's in each VZ server we actually do it with
VLAN interfaces rather than NIC's.

/Benny