[Users] vps settings

Ilya A. Otyutskiy sharp at thesharp.ru
Wed Nov 16 11:20:47 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM,  <lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de> wrote:
> I doubt most "starters" will install a kernel of their choice but use a
> distribution like Debian 6 with OpenVZ kernel included. Maybe you can tell
> how to find out if the kernel used supports vSwap?

It should be 2.6.32 and the HN should probably be RHEL6 (or its
derivative like SL6/CentOS6). If it's debian -- the user should
install RHEL6's kernel (there was a discussion in the neighbor thread
about debian and proxmox kernel [1]) because debian's kernel don't
have vswap support (that's AFAIR).

Personally, I don't get that thing: using debian as HN. OpenVZ ships
their kernel for RHEL and tests them on RHEL, all the features goes
there first before debian guys will incorporate them into their
kernel. So, maybe it's a good idea to use RHEL as your HN just to
minimize your work, wouldn't you think so? And if you hate RHEL so
much -- hey, it's just the HN, you can do a bazillions of debian CTs
there.

So, I would never recommend debian as a HN.

[1] http://openvz.org/pipermail/users/2011-November/004324.html

--
SY, Ilya A. Otyutskiy aka Sharp