[Users] OS/app in the OpenVZ container

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu Nov 10 05:36:30 EST 2011

On 11/10/2011 01:29 PM, Stoyan Stoyanov wrote:
> If thats right you just need to isolate the application process/
> processes ? So may be the best way is just chroot it in the standard
> linux way.

This way you will only isolate the file system (and not in totally
inescapable way I must add). chroot() is essentially a file system
namespace, and there are a dozen of others in OpenVZ, and then a dozen
of resource limits.

> of course u can set limits too, but i don't thing it's
> possible in os-virtualization level to run  only application?

It is possible. As I noted in another reply to this thread, OpenVZ
kernel just runs /sbin/init inside the container and assumes that init
will handle the rest.