[Users] Re: Question About Debian Squeeze OVZ Kernel

U.Mutlu for-gmane at mutluit.com
Tue Nov 8 15:07:10 EST 2011

JR Richardson wrote, On 2011-11-08 17:21:

> I'm in the lab testing debian squeeze and OVZ.  The current debian
> repository is listing this for the OVZ kernel:
>
> root at ovz-test:~# aptitude show linux-image-2.6.32-5-openvz-686
> Package: linux-image-2.6.32-5-openvz-686
> Is anyone using the squeeze repository OVZ kernel?  Any feedback on
> stability or use would be appriciated.

I'm using the amd64bit-version of the said kernel (debian pkg: linux-image-2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64 )
now for about 6 weeks on a stock Debian 6 (squeeze) system
with some packages from the upcoming Debian 7 (wheezy/testing)
under an AMD Opteron 1210 2-core system w/2GB RAM and GbE w/2 IPs
running 24/7 as an Internet server without any problems so far.
On it I can create as many VEs as I like.
As next I'll do a full dist-upgrade to Debian 7.

Of course the machine has several kernels installed, but
the openvz-kernel is now the default one loaded. And of course
no desktop is installed on it since it's a server machine.

At the moment only a WebServer and some test software is running on it,
plus a VE with its own public IP and a Debian 6 32bit,
therein another WebServer and again some test software,
but in a few weeks I'll move everything else also onto this
server machine (Mail server, svn server, DNS server, MySql server etc.).

So my experience with openvz on a stock Debian system is very positive so far.