[Users] how to get the current HN CPU utilization by particular CT

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Mon May 16 09:59:25 EDT 2011

On 14/05/11 09:27, knawnd at gmail.com wrote:
> As far as I understand in order to determine HN CPU load produced by
> certain CT it is enough to extract 'user', 'system' and 'uptime'
> values from /proc/vz/vestat twicely. Then the formula is
> ct_cpu_usage=100%*[(user_time_2 + system_time_2) - (user_time_1 +
> system_time_1)] / (uptime_2 - uptime_1)

Can't really remember I'm afraid, but that sounds plausible, I think the
figures collected from /proc are a total amount of CPU time used for
each container, so to determine usage, you have to take two readings and
divide by elapsed time.  The figure you get is the total across all CPU
cores.

> The second question is if there are any plans to implement HN CPU load
> produced by particular CT in some of vz* tools (e.g. in vzcpucheck
> providing some additional option and print one more column required
> info about HN CPU utilization by each container)?

Dunno.  Email the developers and see if they'd be willing to accept a
patch in principle?

If not (or in any case) - I wonder if a "dstat" plugin might be a good
solution?

Actually I just looked at the dstat man page, and there seems to be a
--vz-cpu option already....

Tim.

--

South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.