[Users] HELP:How can one VM interrupt another running VM ??

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue May 3 17:27:56 EDT 2011

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Thanks Daniel, but it's not interrupt for that thread/process, the
> nice value just set higher priority, what I want to do is like stop
> the current running process in one VM, context swiching to another
> process in another VM, when this process finishes, switch back to
> the original VM, of course this preempting VM has higher nice value.
> Is it possible?

No, that is NOT a built in feature of OpenVZ... and one would argue that it should not be a feature.

Having said that though, assuming you have root access to the host node running the containers, you could setup some type of monitoring of the process in the container that communicates to the host node, and when the host node sees a condition, you could chkcpoint the container, pass a message to the second container, start up some process there, monitor it, and when done, restore from chkpoint the first container.

That would take some work.  The easiest way for monitoring would be checking for the presence or absence of a file... and that should be easy since the host node can see the container's filesystems.

I don't know if that is what you want or not but if I had to have that feature, that's what I'd do.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street