[Users] . tar.gz.tar.gz not found while trying to create a container

Terry terry.kemmerer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:33:44 EDT 2011

Debian 6.0.1
kernel 2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64
tools vzctl version 3.0.24

I believe I followed the instructions found on Howtoforge for setting up
OpenVZ on Debian6.0 Squeeze (AMD64)...however, I must have made a
mistake in setting everything up for openvz or I must be violating some
rule I have missed...

I plan was to initially create 3 different containers, each containing a
different template, so I could later clone them as I needed them to
populate /vz as I built my project which is going to use quite a few
containers. So, I only did the first step in creating  my first
container since it did not seem to me to need to need the rest of the
creation steps yet, since their sole purpose was to be cloned and then
the clone would be modified for active use:

# vzctl create 101 --ostemplate debian-6.0-amd64-minimal --config basic

That worked great! It made the debian container numbered 101. So, I
moved immediately to my second downloaded template choice--- here is my
command and what my putty terminal displayed as the result with the
problem highlighted in bold red in the printout:

root at ispy2:/var/lib/vz/template/cache# vzctl create 102 --ostemplate
ubuntu-10.04-minimal_10.04_amd64.tar.gz --config basic

Creating container private area
(ubuntu-10.04-minimal_10.04_amd64.tar.gz)

Cached OS
template /var/lib/vz/template/cache/ubuntu-10.04-minimal_10.04_amd64.
tar.gz.tar.gz not found

(NOTE:  Notice there is a open space between amd64 and the first tar.gz
and note the repetition of .tar.gz which appears to be why the template
can not be found...i think.)

Creation of container private area failed

root at ispy2:/var/lib/vz/template/cache# ls

debian-6.0-amd64-minimal.tar.gz ubuntu-10.04-lamp_10.04_amd64.tar.gz
ubuntu-10.04-minimal_10.04_amd64.tar.gz

root at ispy2:/var/lib/vz/template/cache# vzlist -a
CTID NPROC STATUS IP_ADDR HOSTNAME
101 6 running - -

What am I doing wrong to have vzctl think my template name has two
".tar.gz" instead of one? And why did it work the first time for 101 and
not the second time for 102?

Thanks!