[Users] Newbie question - trying to install openvz

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Mar 24 01:44:19 EDT 2011

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> I now need to do some benchmarking for which I need to install
> OpenVZ. The HostOS that I have is RHEL5.3 64-bit.

RHEL 5.3?  5.6 is the current version in the 5 series.  You might want to consider upgrading.

> As a first step, I am planning to install the base OS on a fresh
> hardware and create a /vz partition. I believe that is the only
> pre-req for working with OpenVZ - right?

That isn't strictly required but it is recommended.

There is a fine Quick Install guide (http://wiki.openvz.org/Quick_installation) that you can find on the front page of the openvz.org site.  There is also a HOWTO page on the CentOS wiki (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Virtualization/OpenVZ).  The Users Guide (http://download.openvz.org/doc/OpenVZ-Users-Guide.pdf) is a bit dated but good too.

The installation is actually quite easy.

Make sure SELinux is off.
Add the openvz repo.
Install the ovzkernel.
Edit /etc/sysctl.conf.
Reboot to the ovzkernel.
Install the vzctl and vzquota.
Download some OS Templates to /vz/template/cache/.
Create some containers.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle