[Users] Feedback on Using VLAN's for production Voice VE's

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 12:12:57 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I've been using OpenVZ with kernel 2.6.18-14-fza-686-bigmem
successfully for some time now.  Running on Dell PE 2800's and have
many Asterisk VE's in production using straight NIC bridging with each
VE getting a single IP.

I have a new requirement for a VE to run 2 interfaces, one bridged
public IP and a private IP connected through a VLAN.  So my idea is to
bridge the HN eth0 for my public IP's and setup eth1 as a VLAN trunk
port and bridge the VLAN's to their specific VE's.

Conceptually I understand how to do this and think I can get through
the configuration ok.  I have read some posts about enabling VLAN's in
OpenVZ causes a performance hit and can produce unreliable conditions
for production use.  Is there a certain kernel that works better than
another for using VLAN's?  Can someone point me in the right direction
of a good howto?  I'm really concerned about adding functionality that
will screw up a rock solid production system.

Any suggestions or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JR
--
JR Richardson