[Users] Re: vzdev-3.3.13-1.4.swsoft

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jun 22 11:42:31 EDT 2011

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Ok, if you say so. Let's see what the next udev upstream update will
> bring ;)

udev has been running fine inside of OpenVZ containers for a little over 2 years now I think.  I'm not sure it actually does anything useful but at least it doesn't break anything like it used to.

With regards to CentOS (RHEL or any other clones), they shouldn't be changing api/abi within a release so I doubt you'd see them include something from upstream that breaks something.  I mean, we've been through about 4 updates in the CentOS 5 series since udev has been working.

Please note that udev is also working in Scientific Linux 6 containers and udev has changed a bit between RHEL 5 and 6.

The point is that the "if udev gets installed, it breaks the container so we need to keep it from getting installed" situation has been fixed for a couple of years now.  Anyone still having problems with it are using ancient OS Templates because the ones provided by the OpenVZ project have included udev for a long time now.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street