[Users] Re: vzdev-3.3.13-1.4.swsoft

Aleksandar Ivanisevic aleksandar at ivanisevic.de
Wed Jun 22 09:55:40 EDT 2011

Kir Kolyshkin <kir at openvz.org> writes:

> On 06/22/2011 03:05 PM, Aleksandar Ivanisevic wrote:
>> helpaz<helpaz at gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>>> As I understand udev replacement for Containers is vzdev and you can get it from
>>>
>>> http://vzdownload.swsoft.com/ez/packages/centos/5/
>> Yes, but vzdev in that repo is ancient (1.0-7, we're talking about 3.3
>> here) and doesn't provide udev so you have to have udev installed and
>> that causes tons of problems
>
> Actually,
>
> (1) it's 3.3 that is ancient, look at the package build dates. It is
> versioned so because it is based on the old 'dev' package from the
> pre-udev era.

I have actually looked, thats why I'm utterly confused now. Why would
anyone want to go *down* in version numbers is beyond me.

$ rpm -qi vzdev
Name        : vzdev                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 3.3.13                            Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1.4.swsoft                    Build Date: Thu 20 Sep 2007 07:59:05 PM CEST

$ rpm -qi vzdev
Name        : vzdev                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.0                               Vendor: (none)
Release     : 7.swsoft                      Build Date: Thu 13 Apr 2006 11:00:24 AM UTC

> (2) Adding udev to a container won't hurt, vzdev (a new one, version
> 1.0) is created to work in both cases -- with and without udev.

Ok, if you say so. Let's see what the next udev upstream update will
bring ;)