[Users] Re: openvz with OCFS2

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 04:21:41 EST 2011

On 12/01/11 08:58, Aleksandar Ivanisevic wrote:

>>> How do you handle split brain on a shared volume when you have half of
>>> VEs running on each side?
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>> We use pacemaker with heartbeat ans stonith, and thats the way to
>> prevent split brain.
>>
> Sorry, looks like I wasn't clear enough. stonith asumes HA cluster,
> but i'm talking about a load balancing cluster. Most of the time I
> can't afford killing a node.

I'm not sure what scenarios you are considering where neither an
appropriately set quorum or stonith would be applicable?  If one node
has gone crazy and is trying to compete with working nodes, surely
stonith is a potentially applicable technique?

Either split-brain is a BAD THING for your app, in which case stonith is
worth considering, or:

split-brain doesn't really matter for your app, and you're happy to
consider manual recovery if it happens?

In both cases an appropriately set quorum level should prevent it
happening at all?

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.