[Users] More on making an OpenVZ template

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 17:13:57 EDT 2011

> I am using the one of debian squeeze:

As a side note, one of my long-standing annoyance with Debian's
software policies is that, once a given release is frozen, Debian will
not update a software package unless there is a CVE-worth security bug
in it.  Other bugs will not get fixed.  Not even if the fix is minor.
They certainly will not keep current with a release in any bugfix-only
branch of the software provided upstream.

I can understand this software policy; open-source development is, by
nature, undisciplined and a lot of developers are not very good at
only fixing bugs without adding other potential bug-inducing features.

Debian's policies wouldn't be a big deal, except that some Debian
users have this really annoying habit of bugging upstream about a bug
which has already been fixed upstream, just not applied to the
appropriate Debian software repository.  There is a Debian bug
tracking system to file bug reports or feature requests, and Debian
users are probably best using this system; if the package maintainer
says it's an upstream issue, then it is time to contact upstream about
the issue.

- Sam