[Users] TinyVZ 0.7 released

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Sun Aug 21 07:44:13 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Sam Trenholme
<strenholme.usenet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have released TinyVZ 0.7 today.  This will be my last TinyVZ release
> for the foreseeable future.
>
> TinyVZ 0.7 is a tiny little OpenVZ template for making OpenVZ
> containers that use the lowest amount of memory and hard disk space
> possible.
>
> This is a self-hosting template with all source code; it is possible
> to compile the entire system inside of the template.  Look in the
> build/ directory (inside the template) for source code.
>
> The main addition to this release of TinyVZ is that it is now possible
> to use the relevant vzctl commands to add or remove an IP, set the
> machine's hostname, determine what nameservers to use, as well as
> setting user's passwords.  As recently discussed on the list, I had to
> add the Bash shell to do this.
>
> The tarball now contains the template's tarball inside of it; the
> relevant scripts used by vzctl as well as an installation guide
> (README) are also inside the tarball.
>
> The system is for hard core UNIX/Linux gurus: The only editor is a
> miniature version of vi included with Busybox (actually, I also
> compiled in Busybox's version of the "ed" editor, for those who feel
> vi pampers the user too much); all configuration is done by editing
> text files.  You will need to compile your own mail server, SSH
> server, web server, or other desired server.
>
> It can be downloaded here:
>
> http://samiam.org/TinyVZ/

Just had a quick try, xz compression does not seem to be supported by
vzctl, had to recompress in tar.gz format:

root at mybox /root/zoobab/tmp/TinyVZ-0.7 [51]# vzctl create 889
--ostemplate TinyVZ-0.7-template
Creating container private area (TinyVZ-0.7-template)
Cached OS template
/var/lib/vz/template/cache/TinyVZ-0.7-template.tar.gz not found
Creation of container private area failed

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403