[Users] TinyVZ 0.7 released

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 18:36:28 EDT 2011

I have released TinyVZ 0.7 today.  This will be my last TinyVZ release
for the foreseeable future.

TinyVZ 0.7 is a tiny little OpenVZ template for making OpenVZ
containers that use the lowest amount of memory and hard disk space
possible.

This is a self-hosting template with all source code; it is possible
to compile the entire system inside of the template.  Look in the
build/ directory (inside the template) for source code.

The main addition to this release of TinyVZ is that it is now possible
to use the relevant vzctl commands to add or remove an IP, set the
machine's hostname, determine what nameservers to use, as well as
setting user's passwords.  As recently discussed on the list, I had to
add the Bash shell to do this.

The tarball now contains the template's tarball inside of it; the
relevant scripts used by vzctl as well as an installation guide
(README) are also inside the tarball.

The system is for hard core UNIX/Linux gurus: The only editor is a
miniature version of vi included with Busybox (actually, I also
compiled in Busybox's version of the "ed" editor, for those who feel
vi pampers the user too much); all configuration is done by editing
text files.  You will need to compile your own mail server, SSH
server, web server, or other desired server.

It can be downloaded here:

http://samiam.org/TinyVZ/

- Sam