[Users] Switching from VMWare to OpenVZ?

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 15:53:56 EDT 2011

On 13/04/11 17:31, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> Greetings,

OK, thanks for that - I thought 2.6.32 was OpenVZ supported already, but
clearly it isn't - the Debian version of 2.6.32 it is Debian-supported
already, of course (whereas 2.6.26 effectively isn't being supported by
Debian any more except for security updates).

2.6.32 is a long-term supported kernel by mainline (2.6.32.36 released
2011-03-27) - it's also the kernel which has been picked by RHEL6,
Debian 6, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and SLES.
I'd guess that 2.6.32 will be supported by Parallels in-time (just
because that's what RHEL6 uses), and is receiving active development,
bug fixes, etc.
2.6.27 probably won't be supported as a stable release by Parallels at
any point, I'd have thought (anyone know any different?).

> 2.6.27 is a long-term supported kernel by mainline I believe.

It is, and it appears to still be going (2.6.27.58  2011-02-09).  I was
under the impression that it wasn't anymore, but I believe 2.6.32 is the
"main" long-term kernel at the moment.
2.6.26 isn't long-term (although in practise I believe the Debian Kernel
team did backport some stuff from it).  2.6.26 / Debian 5.0 will get
security fixes until next Jan, but no more bug fixes AFAIK.

On that basis, my advise based on personal experience would be to run
any new Debian OpenVZ deployments on Debian 6 / 2.6.32 ...

> I don't really recommend LXC now unless you don't mind the
> bleeding-edge with bumps in the road.

ACK.  It doesn't do much in the way of resource usage limiting (at least
not on 2.6.32 last time I looked), so if you need that it'd be a
show-stopper.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.