[Users] Xen hypervisor vs OpenVZ

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 11:08:30 EDT 2011

On 05/04/11 15:29, C K Kashyap wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to do benchmarking of performance in Xen VM and OpenVZ VM.
> I went over the paper
> - http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2007/HPL-2007-59R1.pdf
>
> What we are looking for from the "virtualization" solution is server
> consolidation and we do not intend to run multiple kernels - so OpenVZ
> seems like a good choice.
> Are there more recent papers on such as the paper from HP?

I don't know, but I would consider the real competition to be between
OpenVZ and libvirt/KVM - I don't think Xen is going anywhere in the long
term.

KVM supports the use of kernel-same-page-merging (KSM), which OpenVZ
doesn't (yet?).  For some applications KSM can be a big win...

We currently use/support both OpenVZ and kvm.

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.