[Users] How to allow a container to send "spoofed" IP packets? (for VPN tunnels without NAT)

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Mar 5 11:20:08 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 15:33 +0000, Nils Toedtmann wrote:
> Dear OpenVZ community,

> i try to create a OpenVPN tunnel between different OpenVZ hardware nodes
> so containers running on different hardware nodes can communicate
> securely. For security and stability reasons, i want to run the OpenVPN
> daemons within containers, not on the hardware nodes. I followed some
> instructions i found on the net [1] and it's all working fine - but only
> if the OpenVPN containers double-NAT the traffic!

> But i need the containers on the different hardware nodes to directly
> see each other through the OpenVPN tunnels without any IP NATing!

> The problem seems to be that OpenVZ does not allow containers to "spoof"
> packets, that is sending IP packets with source IP addresses other than
> the container's IP addresses. When i capture within the OpenVPN
> container, i can clearly see packets (having arrived through the tunnel)
> leaving the OpenVPN container via venet0, but i can't see them when i
> sniff venet0 from the hardware node.

> I tried granting capabilities net_admin and net_raw to the OpenVPN
> containers, but no luck.

> How do i allow a container to send IP packets from other IP addresses
> than its own - any ideas?

First question I always have to ask.  Are you using the vnet driver or
the veth driver?  If the vnet driver, I'm not surprised.  Others may
have a way to get it working with the vnet driver but I gave up on it
long ago as just too broken on IPv6.  Try the veth driver, which means
setting up bridging but may be a private bridge on that host as well, so
you can emulate the vnet behavior, if that's your want.

> /nils.

> PS:
> hardware nodes = CentOS 5.4 + 2.6.18-164.2.1.el5.028stab066.7 x86_64
> containers     = Ubuntu 8.04 with openvpn 2.1_rc7-1ubuntu3.5

Mike