[Users] OpenVZ as Kernel modules

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jul 28 12:09:58 EDT 2010

Peter,

----- Original Message -----
> Why OpenVZ is not implemented as loadable Kernel modules? Is it
> possible?
>
> Would not this make OpenVZ ultra flexible and may make it widely
> available to new users?

Some of OpenVZ is already implimented as modules.  Just do an lsmod | grep vz on your OpenVZ host node.

Speaking as a non-developer / non-programmer who is not familiar with the OpenVZ design / implementation... I believe that OpenVZ requires a lot of changes to many of the underlying subsystems... changes that you can't do via a module.  The reason that KVM can get away with being a module (I believe) is that changes have been made in the mainline to accommodate KVM.  The only way OpenVZ could do what it needs to do to become a standalone module like KVM is if all of the needed changes to the underlying subsystems were made to mainline... which isn't going to happen.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street