[Users] /etc/init.d/service stop

Solar Designer solar at openwall.com
Sun Jul 25 22:58:13 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:35:41PM -0300, Peter Senna Tschudin wrote:
> When I type:
> /etc/init.d/ganglia-monitor stop
>
> On my Host physical server, it shuts down all the running "gmond"
> processes both in host and in my VEs. How can I avoid this?

It sounds like you need to enhance the startup script to use pidfiles -
and perhaps submit the change upstream.

Alternatively, if the startup script is built around the Debian-derived
start-stop-daemon program, then it can instruct this program to only
signal processes that match a particular instance of an executable file.

On Owl, we use both approaches at once.  We defined Red Hat'ish daemon(),
etc. shell functions, which are expected by Red Hat'ish service startup
scripts, to be built upon a revision of start-stop-daemon instead.  This
means that even third-party Red Hat'ish service startup scripts that do
not use pidfiles but do use daemon() behave better in this respect on Owl
(than they do e.g. on CentOS) due to start-stop-daemon's checks via /proc.

Our daemon(), etc. on top of start-stop-daemon:

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/owl-startup/functions?rev=HEAD

Our changes to start-stop-daemon:

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/SysVinit/sysvinit-2.85-alt-owl-start-stop-daemon.diff?rev=HEAD

Finally, the host system is supposed to run software essential to
administering the system only.  It sounds like this specific service
might in fact be essential in your case, but I wanted to point this out
anyway.  So most of the time the problem would not arise simply because
there would be no added services running on the host system.

Alexander