[Users] /etc/init.d/service stop

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Sun Jul 25 22:43:35 EDT 2010

> When I type:
> /etc/init.d/ganglia-monitor stop
> On my Host physical server, it shuts down all the running "gmond"
> processes both in host and in my VEs. How can I avoid this?

I don't know what ganglia is, but the issue sounds simple. my guess is
that the init script is probably doing "killall gmond" which yes, would
kill all of them. The solution would be to rewrite the init script, to
use a PID file or some such to kill only the desired process.

If that's beyond your skills, your best bet would be to ask the
developers of the software. Tell them that you're running multiple
copies of ganglia, and that you'd like to be able to start/stop them
independently. Hopefully they can supply you with an init script that
kills only the specific gmond.

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."