[Users] apt-mirror does not work under OpenVZ

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jul 18 13:46:07 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 12:23 -0300, Peter Senna Tschudin wrote:
> Dear list members,
>

> I'm setting my VPS as home server. Its main feature is to act as
> Debian Mirror. I use apt-mirror from Fedora 12 repository to make my
> local mirror.
>

> I created my VPS based
> on http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/fedora-12-x86_64.tar.gz. I run OpenVZ from Debian Lenny offical repository.
>

> apt-mirror uses perl and create lots of wget processes. The problem is
> that when apt-mirror runs inside the VPS it always crashes, it start
> normally but crashes or when checking index files or before start
> downloading packages. If stop the VPS and chroot
> to /var/lib/vz/private/102/ and call the exact same command line it
> works. So the error only happens when apt-mirror is run inside VPS.
>

> Am I doing something wrong?

Probably a resource exhaustion problem, especially when you are talking
about "lots of wget processes".  Look in /proc/user_beancounters in the
container and see if you have anything that is non-zero in the "failcnt"
column like tcpsndbuf, tcpsndbuf, or numtcpsock.  Typically, I've found
the defaults for those resources to be particularly anemic, especially
when you've got a lot of network activity as in this case.  Any resource
with any non-zero failcnt should be increased in size significantly
(multiply by 8 or more) using vzctl set {veid} [resource=...] --save.

> Thanks,
>

> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Senna Tschudin