[Users] pre-built i686 kernel flavors

Kirill Korotaev dev at parallels.com
Sat Jul 10 18:32:50 EDT 2010

-PAE comment is relevant,
-ent is not fully true:
a. We really had a huge problem in the past with lots of containers on i686 with >>8GB RAM when Normal zone could
get exhausted due to kernel allocations. So it was not a hack for enterprisy Apps, but rather a feature allowing
to increase containers density (due to 3.5Gb Normal zone). Fortunately, all machines support 64bit nowdays and it can be dropped.
RHEL5 branch will be the last to support it.
b. Performance impact of -ent kernel is less then 20% on web applications. It's not that bad price taking into account
that it allows to run  up to 4x times more containers.

Nevertheless, I agree both -PAE and -ent kernels can be dropped nowdays.

Kirill