[Users] pre-created Owl container templates

Solar Designer solar at openwall.com
Thu Jan 28 19:07:58 EST 2010

Hi,

We've added the "make vztemplate" target to the build environment of
Openwall GNU/*/Linux (or Owl), making it easy for us and for Owl users
to generate new OpenVZ container templates of the Owl userland:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

Obviously, we're now generating such templates ourselves.  They may be
used on Owl and/or on other Linux systems with OpenVZ.  The templates
are found under /pub/Owl/current/vztemplate on our FTP mirrors:

lftp ftp.fr.openwall.com:/pub/Owl/current/vztemplate> ls
-rw-r--r--    1 ftp      ftp      120364801 Jan 28 17:26 owl-current-20100128-i686.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 ftp      ftp      123164774 Jan 28 16:52 owl-current-20100128-x86_64.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 ftp      ftp           453 Jan 28 17:39 vztemplate.mtree
-rw-r--r--    1 ftp      ftp           353 Jan 28 18:49 vztemplate.mtree.sign

The size of an Owl template file is around 120 MB, and a container
instantiated from it occupies around 400 MB of disk space.  This
compares favorably with pre-created templates of other Linux distros
found on openvz.org considering that our template is actually an
almost-complete install of the Owl userland, including all development
tools and libraries (C, C++), so it is capable of (re)building our and
third-party packages from source.

There are also fresh ISOs of Owl (generated a few hours ago), capable of
running containers instantiated from the above and most other templates.
The full announcement can be seen here:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/announce/2010/01/28/1

Alexander

P.S. No, we still have not moved to the latest OpenVZ kernels, although
we're planning to.  After the previous ISOs, our focus was on the
userland and on much-needed features such as "make vztemplate".