[Users] Re: New Kernel Patch

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Mon Jan 18 13:04:17 EST 2010

Suno,

----- "Suno Ano" <suno.ano at sunoano.org> wrote:
> We have evaluated the situation once again and made the decision going
> forward with LXC.

The SWsof / Parallels / OpenVZ folks saw the light a few years ago with regards to getting containers in the mainline... when they started contributing to what later became LXC.  In fact, they have ranked highly among companies and developers contributing to the Linux kernel.

See the following report in PDF format produced by the Linux foundation:
http://www.linux.com/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=doc&id=15&format=raw

On page 10, Pavel Emelyanov is ranked 21st
On page 12, Parallels is ranked 11th
On page 13, Parallels is ranked 9th

I'm glad to see some folks are not only testing LXC but are going to be switching to it from OpenVZ and others.  I'm not ready myself because LXC is currently missing too much for my needs... although I really do plan on checking it out real soon now and I'm guessing LXC might actually be appropriate for at least one of my use cases.

You guys can help get the tools, bugs and features fleshed out so that the 2 years I predicted may  be reduced.

As previously stated, if you aren't adverse to using RHEL or CentOS as a host node (and some are), OpenVZ is contemporary with those and appears that it will be well supported for some time to come.  I certainly hope that situation will improve but I don't expect it to.

Now to hear if anyone has anything "official" to add to this discussion. :)

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street