[Users] New Kernel Patch

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Sat Jan 16 18:23:15 EST 2010

On Jan 16, Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:

> > Not at all until the new RHEL will be released, because modern versions
> > of udev (like the one in Debian testing/unstable) do not support 2.6.18
> > kernels.
> Really, do you have more information on that?
The current version of udev requires a kernel >= 2.6.26 (with
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=n so the standard lenny kernel will not work
anyway).
This is caused by the need for features like CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER,
CONFIG_SIGNALFD and sysfs improvements so it cannot be resolved with
trivial patches (I already did this to not require 2.6.27).

The last version which supports 2.6.18 is 145 and it cannot be used with
squeeze anyway without a substantial effort because other packages
depend on newer versions.

I am the maintainer of the Debian udev package and a frequent upstream
contributor.

--
ciao,
Marco