[Users] New Kernel Patch

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Sat Jan 16 17:38:21 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:17:19PM +0100, Suno Ano wrote:
> currently (January 2010) mainline is in development for the .33 release,
> .32 is stable and used by most Linux Distributions like for example
> Debian, Ubuntu, Suse, etc.
>
> >>From what it looks now Debian and Ubuntu are going into freeze for their
> next stable release in March 2010. Will there be an up-to-date OpenVZ
> kernel patch available by then? Debian is targeting to ship .32 with
> their next stable release called squeeze.
>
> In case OpenVZ will not be available on at least one of the major Linux
> distributions and its offsprings, no need to mention how horrid that
> would be ...

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/10/msg00003.html said
OpenVZ will remain supported, but
and http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/08/msg00233.html had
previously went unanswered and I don't see anything new at
http://packages.debian.org/linux-image-2.6-openvz-686

I'm thinking the most usable compromise would be if someone volunteered to
maintain the Debian packages of the actual kernel stable release 2.6.27 -
where the meaning of "stable" more closely corresponds to the Debian
"stable" release concept. For off-the-shelf usage, mainline releases can
satisfy the same definition, but for corner cases it's doubtful because
they tend to move too fast for people to track them reliably.

I have to mention that Xen has a similar problem - there are XCI 2.6.27
patches which seem to be maintained, whereas it's doubtful anyone really
wants to continue forward-porting the old branch to .32. Xen upstream do
have an advanced paravirt_ops dom0 branch (it's much further along than LXC
vs. OpenVZ, judging by the LXC description in this thread), but it would
still be a regression compared to the old branch for some people who use
some of those still-unimplemented features, so it's not a drop-in
replacement yet.

I'm Cc:ing Adrian Bunk - given that you initated the marking of .27 as
"the real stable", and Greg KH is still maintaining .27 upstream, I can't
help but wonder if you might be willing to maintain those packages? :)

Also Cc:'ing the debian-kernel mailing list.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.