[Users] New Kernel Patch

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sat Jan 16 15:04:18 EST 2010

> ----- "Dietmar Maurer" <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:
> > We at Proxmox ended up compiling the RHEL kernel for Debian. So we
> > now have a Debian system with RHEL kernel and OpenVZ. So far that
> works
> > quite good.
>
> I'm very glad to hear that.  Would you recommend that a stock Debian
> user use your kernel for OpenVZ stuff?  If so, I have to wonder how
> well it would work on the upcoming distro releases that Suno was
> talking about.

Sorry, but so far we only tested on Debian Lenny. But I guess it works
on Debian Squeeze as well.

> Also, you didn't mention it so I will... your "RHEL kernel for Debian"
> also includes KVM support, right?  If so, I imagine your kernel might
> also be of interest to RHEL/CentOS host node users so they could gain
> the KVM functionality.  Would you recommend that?  I assume that your
> binary packaging of it is in .deb format and I'm not sure of the
> process of installing that on an rpm-based system.  I know .deb
> packages use common underlying tools so even without dpkg I should be
> able to get to the contents once I learn the specifics.

You missed the fact that the OpenVZ RHEL/Centos kernel already includes
quite good KVM  support - we did not changed that. RHEL/Centos users can simply use
the OpenVZ kernel (it already has KVM support - only KSM does not work).

> And finally, to combine the two together... what about the other
> tools... vzctl and vzquota?  Would one use stock OpenVZ supplied
> packages or would one use the tools packages by you as well for your
> packaged kernel?  And what about management of KVM machines?

Again, that makes no sense (see above).

> The simple answer I guess is to use Proxmox VE and I'm certainly not
> against that as I know a number of happy PVE users and you do a
> fantastic job of supporting your software.  I'd just like, if at all
> possible, to see some of the PVE stuff make it back out to the stock
> OpenVZ user.  I know your sources are available but so far we don't
> have anyone in the community with the needed skills who has stepped
> forward to do the work.  I know I'm not qualified.  I'd love to see
> your "RHEL kernel for Debian" be available as a "RHEL kernel for rpm-
> based distros that includes both OpenVZ and KVM support".  Or maybe I'm

"RHEL kernel for Debian" is the RHEL kernel - nothing changed (its only
a deb instead of a rpm)!

> looking at this the wrong way.  I asked Kir some time ago if the newer
> official OpenVZ RHEL-based kernels included KVM support and he said
> that Red Hat doesn't package the KVM stuff with the kernel... and that
> the KVM modules and user-space apps are in separate packages which
> OpenVZ doesn't provide.  So I guess the stock OpenVZ RHEL-5.4-based
> kernel could be used for KVM!

They have a separate package for the kvm userspace tools - that's all. Besides
KVM should work without problems on the OpenVZ kernel - simply try.

>   stuff too if someone were packaging the extra bits or... perhaps...
> if the existing RHEL/CentOS KVM support packages could be used if some
> instructions were put together saying out.
>
> I use KVM for a few things (like for non-Linux VMs) and I'd love to be
> able to use both OpenVZ and KVM on the same machine as a RHEL/CentOS
> fanboy.
>
> Sorry for getting so off the topic that Suno originally asked about but
> I like the directions this discussion is going in. :)

I still wonder why you do not use debian ;-)

- Dietmar