[Users] Re: Hosts not responding, kinda urgent

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Fri Feb 19 23:51:23 EST 2010

Well, guys, here's a weird one. I fixed it, but you won't believe how.

I used "vzctl enter" to enter the VE, then "route -n" to see its
gateway. Then ping the gateway, and it worked; skipped 1-2 pings, but
the pings came back and the VEs were once again visible on the Internet.

Weird, huh?

Thing is, I did them one at a time (after the first one, which I was
surprised worked) and it's definitely causative here. I sit there
pinging from my PC and from our monitoring server, and nothing nothing
nothing; then the instant I send 1 ping to the gateway from within the
VPS, it comes up. Four VEs in a row did this.

Any ideas as to what could have caused this "outage" in the first place,
and why sending a ping would have fixed it?

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."