[Users] RE: slow fsync rate

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Aug 25 02:54:07 EDT 2010

Hi Kir,

> These numbers very much resemble fsync() rate with write cache enabled
> (~1000/sec) and disabled (50-70/sec).
> check write cache settings with hdparm + check whether you have barrier
> mount option on ext3.

I use exactly the same system. The only thing I change is the kernel. kernel with
OpenVZ patches is factor 20 slower!

That is why I ask if you can reproduce the problem?

> I believe, 2.6.32 is just more honest on fsync and really forces drive
> to save data. While earlier kernels did this only with BARRIER mount
> option (or ignored this problem at all)...

Ha - honest or not, the fsync rate is simply too slow - such system is not usable at all.

Besides, the standard debian 2.6.32 kernel is as fast as always. The problem only shows up with the OpenVZ patches.

- Dietmar