[Users] File-tree CT backup

Marc Olive marc.olive at grupblau.com
Thu Apr 29 08:28:19 EDT 2010

Hello,

I have a pretty backup script that takes care about files, only about files,
using commands like "cp" and "rsync". There's no tar.gz nor snapshots about
the filesystem as a whole and takes no care about partitions tables or LVM,
it only copies files.
And I don't want an image-like file, as a tar made by vzdump or LVM snapshop
would be, so I can't not use them.

To use it to backup OpenVZ containers it's enought to copy the files
inside /var/lib/vz/private/$CID and /etc/vz/conf/$CID.conf, suspending
previsously the CT? What about the files inside /var/lib/vz/root/$CID?
Something like this simplified commands:

]$ CID=XYZ
]$ vzctl chkpnt $CID --dumpfile <path>
]$ backup /var/lib/vz/private/$CID (¿vz/root/$CID?)
]$ vzctl restore $CID --dumpfile <path>
]$ backup /etc/vz/conf/$CID.conf

In case my server was completly lost, will I have enought information to
restore the CT? how should I restore them? Maybe with a process similar as
when I create them from a template?

Any other tip or advise besides to test the whole process?

Thanks,

--

Marc Olivé
Grup Blau