[Users] centos 5.4 template in rpm or yum , miss metadata ?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Apr 13 11:48:18 EDT 2010

Jehan,

----- Original Message -----
> So, If I understand well, there's never been an (official ?) centos-5
> template for openvz.
> If I want one, I need to use the unofficial build method explained
> here:
> http://www.neonhost.com/openvz/ or use the official method :
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Centos_Upgrade_4.x_to_5.0 Am I correct ? I
> don't want to start in the wrong direction .
>
> anyway, I'm new to openvz (I'am from linux-vservers ...) and I'm
> surprised that people out there still run centos-4 !
> isn't it any simple way to get a centos-5 VPS ?

Just to clarify... you are correct.  There have NOT been any new OS Template metadata packages released for some time.  The newest date on them (see: http://download.openvz.org/template/metadata/) appears to be 2006... so any distro released after that, there aren't any metadata packages for... which includes CentOS 5.

The OpenVZ Project has been doing a pretty good job of releasing pre-created OS Templates for all of the major distros.

The official vzpkg was lacking anyway as it would only allow for the creation of OS Templates for rpm-based distros.  vzpkg2 and pkg-cacher were much better because they added .deb-based distros to the mix.

There are a number of recipes on the wiki for building your own OS Templates from scratch if desired.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street