[Users] how to compile OpenVZ kernel on Debian Lenny

Julien Cornuwel julien.cornuwel at adamantx.fr
Tue Sep 8 04:42:57 EDT 2009

2009/9/8 Josip Rodin <joy at entuzijast.net>

> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 07:45:12PM +0200, Julien Cornuwel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to compile an OpenVZ kernel on Debian Lenny and I'm a bit
> lost.
> >
> > I tried :
> > http://wiki.openvz.org/Compiling_the_OpenVZ_kernel_(the_Debian_way)<http://wiki.openvz.org/Compiling_the_OpenVZ_kernel_%28the_Debian_way%29>
> > But linux-patch-openvz doesn't exist on Lenny, only in Sid.
> >
> > What is the recommended way to compile an OpenVZ kernel on Debian lenny ?
>
> Check the top of the page which says:
>
> Lenny and above
>
>   Debian Lenny and Sid already include the openvz kernel
>   (linux-image-${version}-openvz-${arch}), so the manual compilation is
>   not necessary in many cases.

Thanks, this is what I'm using ATM. But my hosting provider wants a compiled
kernel with a number of features (no module support, and so on). They
provide a .config with their configuration. This is not mandatory, but if I
don't use their custom kernel and one of my servers gets hacked, they shoot
first and talk later ;-)

So, what I need to do is to take a vanilla kernel, apply OpenVZ patch, apply
their config, enable VZ-related functionalities... But, patches I find on
http://download.openvz.org/kernel/ are marked as 'development versions'.
That scares me a bit, because it is for a production environment.