[Users] Openwall Linux (OWL) switches to OpenVZ kernel

Thorsten Schifferdecker tsd at debian.systs.org
Fri Nov 27 17:58:28 EST 2009

Hi,

Scott Dowdle schrieb:
> Greetings,
>
> I just noticed this:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
>
> I haven't used Openwall myself but I'm guessing someone from Openwall might be on this mailing list.  If so, please introduce yourself.  What kernel version/branch are you guys using?
>
> TYL,

-> http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES-current.shtml

---8<...
The default kernel has been replaced with OpenVZ's latest from their
"rhel5" branch, with some modifications of our own (mostly for better
compatibility with the Owl userland, as well as for security). Formally,
this was forked off Linux 2.6.18 (originally by Red Hat), but the
changes are so extensive that this is actually an up-to-date kernel
branch/version on its own, including Red Hat's back-ports of security
fixes (and a lot more) and OpenVZ's container-based virtualization. This
kernel branch is currently maintained by both Red Hat (for RHEL5) and
OpenVZ. The specific version number we're currently using is
2.6.18-128.2.1.el5.028stab064.8-owl0.2.
---8<...

Seem that the last OpenVZ linux kernel security update to version
028stab066.7 is not yet released in their repository.

Bye,
 Thorsten