[Users] IPv6 Support in VE's

Matt Richards matt at mattstone.net
Wed Nov 18 18:17:04 EST 2009

Hello,

I have OpenVZ setup and running with ipv4 without any issues.

I would like to get ipv6 address to the ve's

My network currently has ipv6 and the hardware nodes have ipv6 addresses
assigned to them.

I currently have ipv6 built into the kernel and also enabled in
/etc/vz/vz.conf

If I add an ipv6 address to a VE when i try to start it i get the
following ...

virt1 linux # vzctl start 46
Starting VE ...
VE is mounted
Adding IP address(es): 192.168.4.46 2001:470:9002:2::46
RTNETLINK answers: No such device
vps-net_add ERROR: Unable to add route /sbin/ip route add
2001:470:9002:2::46 dev venet0
VE start failed
Stopping VE ...
VE was stopped
VE is unmounted

Does anybody know why I might be getting this and what else I can check.
The next thing I would try is running ipv6 as a kernel module but it
would be nice if this wasn't necessary.

my vzctl version is ...

vzctl version 3.0.22

Cheers,