[Users] virtual networking inside containers

Stanichenko Marat mstanichenko at openvz.org
Fri Nov 13 12:29:46 EST 2009

Hello Tom,

Tom D. Davidson wrote on 08.11.2009 08:54:
> Hello, I have a leased openvz vps that I want to run a few light qemu guests
> inside. I have two venet devices and want to bridge venet0:1 with a tap
> device for a qemu guest. The provider has enabled tap/tun but I am having
> troubles with virtual networking.
>
> I went to edit /etc/networking/interfaces and notices the warning that the
> file was auto-generated and would be again on reboot (this of course makes
> sense given the host controls networking), but the provider said to go ahead
> and make my changes  in the file.
>
> This didnt work. Next I copied the settings from interfaces to a new file,
> interfaces.template, but with some comments to see if my comments were
> included in the auto generated interfaces file... now networking is broken.
>
> Enough experimenting. Dozens of support emails with the provider isnt
> getting anywhere. What options does a container owner have?

venet is a special network device that is designed to be managed from
the HN but not from inside the CT. In case you want to be able to tune
network interface from inside the CT, veth is a right choice. Unfortunately,
in your case it's impossible to realize what you want to do because it's
prohibited to create bridges inside the CTs.