[Users] Second Level Disk Quota

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue May 12 13:51:51 EDT 2009

Andrew Niemantsverdriet wrote:
> Is it practical to use OpenVZ with quotas when I currently have 2353
> users and that grows by 300 users / year?
You mean in a single container, do you?

> According to the user manual
> care needs to be taken because of the increased kernel memory usage.

Indeed, kernel holds some structures for every user/group disk quota is
accounted for. That is why there is quotaugidlimit parameter which
limits the number of such users/groups. Taking care is basically setting
that to value less than infinity :)
> So am I asking to much of OpenVZ or is this possible? What would be a
> reasonable value for for quotaugidlimit?

The reasonable value is the number of users + groups you want disk quota
for plus some gap for expansion. Say now you have to have
quotaugidlimit=3000 or something. You can get an idea of the number you
need by counting your users and groups, e.g. like this:

wc -l /etc/passwd /etc/group | grep total