[Users] Hardware node - Iptables firewall with ipset

Sergej Kandyla sk.paix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 10:52:08 EDT 2009

Dariush Pietrzak пишет:
>> nfqueue is a flexible userspace packet handler which uses the netfilter
>> netlink-queue library (kernel 2.6.14 or later). It filters by IP address.
>> It is optimized for thousands of rules (IP ranges) and is quite fast.
>>
>  It seems like it would have to be very, very slow ( every rule would have
> to traverse kernelspace<->userspace barrier ), and the whole point of ipset
> is for this path to be rapid.

On a packet traverses diagram
http://jengelh.medozas.de/images/nf-packet-flow.png we could see that
Application layer also involved in general process.
I didn't really test a nfqueue or ipset, but peoples reported that
nfqueue also very fast.

Why patch-o-matic or it part ipset module doesn't included in the
mainstream kernel ?
Nfqueue is simple and quick solution. It doesn't require kernel
patching\rebuilding. This is a big advantage.