[Users] Any prospect of a new 2.6.27 rpm?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Mar 3 20:31:13 EST 2009

Hey All,

	I think I may have figured part of this (the second part) out for
myself.  In spite of being a kernel driver maintainer, I'm not a git
mavin by any means but I do slowly figure some things out.

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 12:52 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> Hey all (Hey Pavel),
>
> 	This is a two part question...
>
> 	I know everyone's busy with lots of things and I know cutting and
> testing an rpm release is a lot of work, but...  I'm wondering if
> there's a new 2.6.27 rpm waiting in the wings for release any time soon?
> The last 2.6.27 (aivazovsky) had a very serious problem in the IPv6
> firewall code that got quickly patched.  I had to abandon that one.  I
> see there's been a lot of committs to that git branch that look pretty
> serious as well.  Anything standing in the way?
>
> 	Now, outside of that, I do pull the git repository and I can build
> things from that but I use rpm for managing the packages on my system
> and would really rather avoid building straight from the git repository
> and installing on the system.  On top of that, with rpm I can be sure
> I've got all the other patches straight and all the build options
> straight and it's much easier to copy between systems for testing on
> other boxes.  I can't use the binary rpm's from the site anyways (due to
> config option problems and due to the fact that they're built with a gcc
> 3.x compiler where all my Fedora systems are all on 4.x and I have other
> external modules to compile where the compilers must agree) so I'm
> always rebuilding the rpm's anyways.

> 	So...  What's the procedure (is there one) for generating the
> appropriate "patch" to incorporate into the rpm build.  For the last
> 2.6.27 build, there was the patch-ovz-aivazovsky file which was then
> rolled in with the original sources plus some configs and some other
> patches into the rpmbuild/SOURCES directory for the rpmbuild.  How do I
> go from the git repo and the base source tarball and derive that patch
> file?  The patch indicates a git diff (diff -git) between sources "a"
> and "b".  Are these two tags or points in the repo or is it against the
> reference tarball or what?  Can I generate a git diff between the
> aivazovsky tag and the current head?  I can add a patch just as well as
> replace a patch.  I would just really rather run these through rpmbuild
> and build rpms which I can then track.

	So...  I think I got this right.  I grabbed the commit code from the
tag for ovz kernel 2.6.27-aivazovsky on the web site, made sure my git
repository was up to date, and then did a git diff on the repository
like this:

	git diff 743cd323418df88acf59eb88c22ab38f2352eed4 > ../rpmbuild/SOURCES/patch-ovz-aivazovsky-2

	Then I added that to the spec file as patch101 and plugged it in in
sequence (2 lines added to the spec file).  The build for aivazovsky.2
based on that seems to have patched cleanly and is building with my
config files.  I'll know more in a few hours.

	I should probably add a custom extension, but I'll worry about that if
this works.  :-)

> 	If I had that, I could build my own aivazovsky-x rpm's and actually be
> able to test the stuff in git.  As it is now, I'm having to wait between
> releases and not able to contribute to the testing process until then.

	Regards,
	Mike