[Users] issue with wrongly full simfs file system in VE

Andrew Boag red at red.geek.nz
Mon Jun 22 22:05:46 EDT 2009

Hi all, I'm running about 8 VEs on an ubuntu 8.04 server host.

Example is a debian etch VE (kiev) . This has been running quite well,
but suddenly we noticed this issue (30G file system and 1.3G used but
we're not able to write to the file system as non-root). Very bad

kiev:/# df -h
simfs                  30G  1.3G   0G   100% /
tmpfs                 1.5G     0  1.5G   0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs                 1.5G     0  1.5G   0% /dev/shm
kiev:/#

On further investigation, all of the VEs on the host were displaying
this behaviour. i.e. no non-root writes even though there was plenty of
room in the / partition.

We restarted the VEs independently, tried restoring them from backup,
nothing helped. We even did /etc/init.d/vz restart on the host ... but
things came up in the same weird state.

As a last resort I rebooted the physical host. and hey presto all the
VEs were fixed.

very weird (and a little scary)

Sorry, don't ask me to perform diagnostics on the "broken" VEs as I
don't have them any more, I rebooted the hardware. I know this is bad
for troubleshooting (but having no dev environment was bad as well)

anyone seen this before???