[Users] Re: networking

Suno Ano suno.ano at sunoano.org
Fri Jun 12 13:58:24 EDT 2009

 Mihamina> I want them to be reached from the outside (of the laptop,
 Mihamina> via SSH, HTTP, FTP,...)

yes, no problem

 Mihamina> I will put the containers on the same subnet (the laptop
 Mihamina> alone: 192.168.1.1, the containers: 192.168.1.0/24)

yes, if you put them into the same /24 subnet that you do not even need
SNAT (Source Network Address Translation) ... assuming your HN IP never
changes because you hit another net where the dhcpd assigns you a 10/8
IP for example.

 Mihamina> Is interface aliasing OK? (Eth0:N) I set up as many eth0
 Mihamina> alias as I like) and then use --ipadd on theses IP addresses?

as Sergej mentioned already, no need for that. Take a look at how to do
it i.e. assign static, private IPv4 addresses. Note, you also want to
take care of the sysctl settings ;-]

 - http://sunoano.name/ws/public_xhtml/openvz.html#ve_with_static_ipv4_address
 - http://sunoano.name/ws/public_xhtml/openvz.html#sysctl_openvz

If you later need firewalling and SNAT, be my guest as well

 - http://github.com/sunoano/bash/tree/master see
  - packet_filter, which imports generic.sh