[Users] VT in processor + chroot

Surbhi Chitre csurbhi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 06:44:05 EDT 2009

Hello Rakotomandimby Mihamina,

>>That would mean it doesnt care wether the CPU is VT or not.
Am I right?
Yes. Thats right.

>>Secondly, what would be the main difference between a chroot and openVZ?
The quotas control? (RAM allocation, and so on...)

chroot would simply make some directory your root directory i.e from where
on your path of commands/executables shall be resolved.  OpenVZ offers you
a multiple execution environment which means you can run a bunch of
processes
inside this environment. In very simple words this gives you isolated
execution space.
For eg:  If you have two containers and some processes running in both of
them (say) then the processes between these two containers cannot see each
other.  So you cannot send for eg: a kill signal from a process in one
container to a process in another container.

OpenVZ offers checkpoint/restart/migration of these processes by
checkpointing/restarting/migrating the containers these processes run in.
Please read the documentation available on http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page
http://download.openvz.org/doc/openvz-intro.pdf.

You can also try to install OpenVZ in VMWare (or any other virtualization
environment of your choice). You can compile the kernel and try out OpenVZ.
It will just take like 30 mins to try it from scratch :)

Best Luck !
Warm Regards,
Surbhi.