[Users] VPS on NFS?

Mon Jan 26 09:57:20 EST 2009

Hello,

I currently try to run a VPS from a NFS share, but I have some
problems. First, when I try to enter a newly created VE (Gentoo,
btw.), it fails:

test1 dev # vzctl enter 101
enter into VE 101 failed
Unable to open pty: No such device

When I copy this same VPS from the NFS server to a local disk and
start it from there, it works as it should:

test1 dev # vzctl enter 101
entered into VE 101

I already tried all the hints from the mailing list that I could find,
i.e. running MAKEDEV to recreate missing devices, but the only command
that actually works is

# vzctl exec 101 mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts

After that, I can enter into the VE. It does not work when I put this
line into /etc/fstab and restart the VE:
none /dev/pts      devpts   mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

Same as above...

Also, when I mount devpts and enter the VE, "df" does not work:
test / # df -h
df: `/': No such device
df: `/usr/portage': No such device
df: no file systems processed

Does anyone have any hints on how to proceed? Is anyone actually
running VEs from a NFS share?

Thanks for any help,

Thomas