[Users] openvz disk access performance

Kirill Korotaev dev at parallels.com
Mon Jan 19 15:46:59 EST 2009

This is kinda strange comparison...

1. *testing* (not production, not full, not ever stabilized/optimized)
branch of OpenVZ based on 2.6.22 kernel was selected for benchmarking, which
is obviously bad idea. This branch was used purely for mainstream
integration... I wonder why author selected it?

2. compilation is measured unparalleled, i.e. without -j option, so hardware
is not fully utilized. It is much more interesting to measure parallelized
compilation on which VM solutions (including Xen) behave much worse. For
example, on 2x Quad Core 3.0Ghz, 16Gb RAM system 8vCPU container does
compilation on 78% faster then 8vCPU VM, i.e. almost twice.

3. Why paper doesn't present variation of the results (RMS)?
It's simply wrong to compare any 2 values when you don't know RMS...

4. Disk performance varies very much across the disk surface (up to 2! times
at the beginning and at the end of the partition). This is not taken into
account AFAICS and obviously may result in any values measured...

Kirill